Bird's Nest Macaroons
A spring time holiday, Easter brings with it delightful visions of blossoming color and life renewed. This simple dessert not only incorporates the pretty pop of color, but also the idea of new life. Like Christmas, Easter has many sweet treats associated with it. While I try to stay away from sugar, sometimes a girl cannot resist the temptation, especially while I'm in the mood for whipping up desserts. The recipe is easy to follow and only takes a few ingredients to make these delicious bird's nest macaroons.
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 6 cups shredded coconut
- ¼ cup nutella
- Mini chocolate Easter eggs
(A small note to make: I used truvia baking blend to cut down on the calories and sugar intake. If using truvia, the amount of sugar decreases to 1/4 cup and 2 table spoons)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Then, using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, and salt.
- Add eggs, one at a time, until mixed thoroughly. Mix in coconut.
- Drop your batter onto a cookie sheet by using 1-2 tablespoon amounts. Roll into balls, then make an indent with fingers to resemble a bird’s nest. You can make them however large or small you want. This will affect how many eggs can fit into the little nest. I found that 1 tablespoon scoop leaves enough for one egg, while 2 tablespoons leaves enough for 3.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom and browned in spots on top.
- Once completely cooled, spoon a little Nutella into each “nest”. Heat the Nutella for 15 seconds to make it spread easier. Finish by topping with 1-3 chocolate eggs.