Italian Wedding Soup
Since both my parents and I share wedding anniversaries so close to one another, theirs is September 22nd and mine September 24th, I decided to make Italian Wedding Soup in honor of the celebrations. This was also the soup served at our reception dinner. A favorite with everyone and sure to be a smash at your next dinner, here is the classic recipe. Bon appetit!
1 large egg
1 lb lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
2 tbsp olive oil
1 pkg mirepoix
2 cartons chicken stock
1/3 fresh chopped escarole
1/2 cup acini di pepe pasta
Salt and pepper to taste
- Beat egg slightly in medium bowl; add ground beef, parsley, and bread crumbs. Mix well with clean hands. I also added some cheese into the mix. Form into small meatballs, using about 1tsp ground beef mixture for each.
- Brown meatballs on all sides in olive oil in a pan on medium, about 5 min. Remove meatballs; drain off all but 1 tbsp pan drippings.
- Add mirepoix; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, 6-8 min, until veggies are soft, but not browned.
- Add meatballs and stock; bring to a boil on high. Lower heat to medium and simmer for 5 min. Ass escarole; return to simmer on medium-high. Add pasta; let simmer about 5 min until pasta is tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish each serving with grated cheese.